Friday, February 15, 2013

Stir Fried Tofu with Bell Peppers

So I didn't really intend for this to be a food blog, but I've been on an Asian cooking rampage the past several days. Maybe it has to do with the fact that we have friends from Taiwan visiting and I've been reminiscing about our life in Taiwan and China. Plus, I just found an Asian grocery store a 12 minute walk from my office where I finally found tofu, which is the real subject of this post! My egg allergy child, Lady Grace and her sister Sasou love tofu and they were so surprised when I prepared it, as they had not eaten any since we left the States six months ago. Surprisingly, they had already forgotten the word for tofu! Juju on the other hand, wants nothing to do with tofu and will only taste it id bribed. Pictured below is a basic stir fried tofu with bell peppers for garnish. I will serve it on a bed of rice inside a thermos for the girls to take to school tomorrow.

Ingredients
1 box of firm tofu (drain and cut in to rectangles or triangles)
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 green, red and yellow bell peppers (cut in to inch-sized pieces)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
pinch of salt (if needed)

Directions
In a hot non-stick pan on medium-high heat, stir fry garlic in 3 tablespoons of olive oil for a two minutes. Add your tofu squares to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes until brown and then flip each piece to brown the other side.  At the same time add the bell peppers and cook for another 5-7 minutes.  It is important to jostle the tofu about in the pan to ensure that it doesn't stick.  Once your tofu has reached the desired color, add up to 2-3 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar  and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil.  Taste and add more of the above (or a pinch of salt), if necessary.  This is the perfect "side" dish for three people.

Stir Fried Tofu with Bell Peppers

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I really want to know on how to cook this because this is my favorite. I really sure that a recipe for stir fry sauce was very compatible here.

    ReplyDelete