Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Asian Inspired Cabbage Chicken Salad

So, I've returned to my "salads for lunch" routine.  Here is one of my favorite salads, which also happens to be egg-free, that I enjoyed at the office today!

Published: February 6, 2013

Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:
1/4 purple cabbage
1/4 nappa cabbage (but you can use the regular green/white cabbage, as well)
3 carrots
1 bunch cilantro
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Optional: green onions or red onions

Directions:
Lightly simmer two chicken breasts in water for about 20 minutes or until done, then remove from the water and allow to cool.  I don't add salt to the boiling water because there is salt in the salad dressing.  Tip: I sometimes put it in the refrigerator to cool when I'm pressed for time. While the chicken is cooking, begin preparing the veggies.

Wash and cut the carrots into very thin strips.  Slice both the purple and nappa cabbage then wash and dry.  I suggest washing separately so that the color of the purple cabbage doesn't "bleed".  Tip: I also like using a "salad spinner" because I really don't like wet veggies.  After all the veggies are cut and washed, mix together in a large salad bowl adding as much cilantro as desired.  At this point you can also add thinly sliced green or red onions, if you wish.

By this time the chicken should be cool and you can "shred" the meat on top of the cabbage and carrots.  You can then use a commercial soy/ginger type dressing or make your own by using about 1/2 cup of olive oil, just under 1/4 cup of fresh lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon of ginger, a little bit of soy sauce, 1/4 cup of refined white sugar, and a bit of water.  Put all the contents into a bottle and shake vigorously!  Drizzle on top of the salad and enjoy!



Asian-Inspired Cabbage Chicken Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment